Module 1: We’re All Still Kids Inside: Course Introduction
Opens April 1, 2019
How does your childhood shape you as a person and parent today? What did you struggle with as a child? What did you love about who you were? How can you begin making peace with the wounds and channel your courage? In this module, we’ll begin the journey, getting to know each other and exploring the principles of the course along the way.
- Traditional gender norms about being the “good girl” can limit girls’ healthy development
- Early messages about how to look and act as children affect our parenting
Modules 2 + 3: Have Your Feelings (and Fears) Before They Have You
Open April 8 and April 15, 2019
Emotional intelligence—the way you identify, express and respect your own feelings—is crucial to success in every domain. But it’s especially key to parenting girls, who are taught to internalize their strongest feelings, please others at the expense of themselves, and avoid conflict. In this session, we’ll explore the rules about feelings you learned all those years ago, practice concrete ways to increase your emotional IQ and your daughter’s, and learn strategies to manage our strongest feelings when our daughters trigger us.
- Self-regulate when triggered
- Validate and respect your own feelings
- Help your daughter feel seen and heard
- Increase your emotional intelligence
- Practice active listening
OFF WEEK: NO CLASS
April 22, 2019
Module 4: Turn Self-Criticism into Self-Compassion
Opens April 29, 2019
Girls are notoriously self-critical, under relentless pressure to please others and always be more than they are. In this module, we’ll turn back the clock and explore what you once learned about failure, success and self-worth. How does this shape you and your parenting today? What is “Perfect Parent” pressure and how does it undermine our children? Prepare to have your life changed by the three-step practice of self-compassion. Learn other concrete strategies—drawn from Rachel’s internationally recognized “Failing Well” workshops at Smith College—to become more resilient and less perfectionistic.
- Why self-criticism fails to motivate us effectively
- A research-based, three-step practice of self-compassion
- How to actively resist “perfect parent” pressure and set a more authentic example for your daughter
Module 5: Courage Boot Camp: Stop Overthinking & Face Your Fears
Opens May 6, 2019
Girls often start out brave and fearless, only learning to avoid risks once they feel pressure to please others and be perfect. What did you learn about facing the unknown and taking healthy risks? How comfortable are you today when you screw up, and how can you get better at being brave—for you and for your daughter? In this module, you’ll keep learning strategies from Rachel’s Failing Well initiative to summon your courage, fight Imposter Phenomenon and overthinking, and embrace constructive fear—and help your daughter do the same.
- Three ways to build courage and confidence in your daughter
- Strategies to identify healthy goals and take risks
- How to manage overthinking and imposter phenomenon
Module 6: Friend Divorce, the Myth of the BFF & Other Realities of Female Friendship
Opens May 13, 2019
Which friends left you out when you were younger? Which ones broke your heart? In this module, we’ll summon the ghosts of our earliest friendships and uncover ways they may lead us to misinterpret our daughter’s social challenges. Then you’ll learn Rachel’s most effective strategies to respond to friend drama.
- Concrete advice to give your daughter about friendship
- Four-step friendship problem solving protocol
Module 7: Healthy Body Image in the Age of the Supergirl
Opens May 20, 2019
What messages did you internalize about food and your body when you were growing up, and how do they shape your life as a parent today? In this module, we’ll practice strategies to model a healthful approach to body image, cultivate media literacy in your daughter, and respond to self-criticism.
- Do’s and don’ts in front of your daughter when it comes to eating and appearance
- The latest research on ways girls use social media to alter their appearance
- How to reframe negative body talk
- Practical ways to talk with your daughter about media and body image
Module 8: Digital Resilience: Set Boundaries & Raise a Wise User of Social Media
Opens May 28, 2019
How did your parents set limits and boundaries with you (or not), and how does that shape your parenting around social media today? In this module, we’ll practice strategies to say no and follow through. Kids are getting annoyed with adults’ increasingly black-and-white view of social media. Learn how to talk about screens with your daughter with balance and empathy, and learn some of Rachel’s strategies to use social media wisely.
- How the boundaries adult set in your early years affect how much (or little) you say “no” to your daughter
- How identifying your most important family values can increase your effectiveness setting boundaries
- The most effective parenting strategies for raising wise users of social media